SubjectRe: Wireless ethernet?
On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, Robert G. Brown wrote:

[snip]

> You might want to check out the Network Computing article from March
> that compared wireless LAN products:
>
> http://www.networkcomputing.com/1006/1006r2.html
>
> This is a comprehensive review of "all" the current wireless LAN
> products. The biggest sticking point for me is the price: List prices
> are in the $400-600 range for adapters and $1500-2000 range for base
> stations/collectors. I'd guess you need at least one of each, so call
> it $2K just to play. A lot of money for the convenience of moving your
> laptop around -- I'm going to just rewire my house with cat5 UTP and put
> RJ45 jacks here and there that run back to my switch. 100x the
> bandwidth for the minor inconvenience of not being able to type and walk
> at the same time.

Or find out where to get the package that I got from Fry's in San Jose CA
- (2) WebGear Aviator PCMCIA cards + (1) ISA2PCMCIA adapter card = $159.00

These are the Raytheon Raylink cards 802.11 and there are Linux drivers
that integrate into Cardservices. I get about 1M out of them between the
laptop and the base station.

> Of course, if I had a pool on my estate, I might want wireless -- lying
> next to the pool in the shade and working on my laptop while sipping an
> ice cold beverage has its appeal. But then, if I had a pool (or an
> "estate":-) I could probably afford it...;-)
>
> rgb
>
> Robert G. Brown http://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/
> Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
> Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
> Phone: 1-919-660-2567 Fax: 919-660-2525 email:rgb@phy.duke.edu

Matthew G. Marsh, President
Paktronix Systems LLC