SubjectRe: RealMagic DVD-cards
On Thu, Aug 12, 1999 at 04:14:01PM -0400, B.W. McAdams wrote:
> Having just gotten a DVD player for my system which came with a Sigma
> Hollywood Plus (ugh - another reason to keep windows on my box), I
> would definitely have an interest in seeing someone get it working in
> Linux.
>
> I'd offer to do it myself, but I must admit my C is pretty subpar and
> rusty, and I have no experience writing device drivers. However if
> someone would undertake the project I'd be willing to offer what help
> i can.
>
> Although I guess we would still need DVD Player software for linux
> once the card was driven. hmmm. Anyone know if theres a project out
> there to write a Software based DVD Player?
>
> -Brendan

I've extensive experience with MPEG 1/VideoCD/CDI decoding on the old
C-Cube CL4x0 chipset which was used by a number of vendors in the
old days. (In fact, I have a linux driver for it) I'm also a little
familiar with the Ziva chip, also by C-Cube, used in the Creative Labs
DXR2 (perhaps a V in there someplace) DVD card.

I am not familiar with the chip used in the Hollywood products from
Sigma Designs, but I have spoken to both them and C-Cube about their
DVD products.

C-Cube was only willing to provide any information if paid US$15,000
for a developers kit. I've since become a registered Creative Labs
developer, perhaps they might provide an answer. Lastly, Sigma
Designs was unclear on if they would tell me anything. But I believe
they might.

I have come accross some interesting info:

One Tidbit: Some unknown third party company is going to release
linux code to drive the XXX chip.

Other Tidbit: The next generation of the XXX chip is going to have
an integrated core of the Sigma Designs DVD decoder chip.

I believe there is a project someplace which has support for the
Creative Labs Dxr2 DVD card except for the DVD/Ziva specific portion.

--
Brian Litzinger <brian@litzinger.com>