SubjectRe: Help: prefetching taking too long
Hi Tom,

You are in the same kernel code region as have been patched to improve
audio latency. There are several too long execution paths in today's
kernels... (like looping through all page descriptions...)

I am not sure that applying the patches would help in your case
since your program is one that has to finish (not intercepting)
execution before continuing - the patches are being worked
on by Ingo Mjolnar.

But I think that this program should fit well into the
test suit for those patches.

Check out.
http://www.gardena.net/benno/linux/audio/

You should be running with Bus Master / DMA transfers since
it does not handle the non Bus Master case well.

/RogerL

"Tom M. Kroeger" wrote:

> - - -
>
> To measure page read times I instrumented async page I/O by measuring
> the time between brw_page calling ll_rw_block and end_buffer_io_async
> getting called. To test the inter-file prefetching, I wrote a simple
> best case program that goes though a non-changing list of 500 file
> names opening each file, reading the first 32k of the file and
> sleeping for a second in-between each read.
>
> In a normal kernel (without inter-file prefetching enabled) this
> program spends an average of 4ms on each page read (a histogram below
> shows the distribution). Then to test inter-file prefetching I enable
> prefetching; run the program once to let the system learn the pattern
> in which the files are accessed; clear the I/O caches with a program
> that calls malloc until memory exhausts, evicting almost all cached
> I/O data. Finally I re-run the test program and the inter-file
> prefetching is able to predict the next file a do a prefetch on the
> first 32k of the predicted file. My problem is that in this case this
> prefetching has an average page read time of around 300ms (again
> distribution below). The code called to prefetch the first 32K of a
> file is below. I'm calling try_to_read_ahead() which calls the same
> routines that are used to do the read for the non-prefetching case, so
> I'm quite puzzled as to why the same read calls are taking about 10
> time longer than when they are called by sys_read. (BTW - 2.2.9
> kernel, ext2fs, and ide disk).
>
> Is it possible that I'm over filling the device que, if so then why doesn't
> this happen when sys_read calls to read exactly the same data, just on
> user demand vice as a prefetch.
>
> In any case, any ideas, thoughts or sudden rays of bright light would
> be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time,
>
> tmk
>
> int prefetch_file_data(struct inode * inode, unsigned long max_ahead)
> {
> struct dentry * dentry;
> struct file * f;
> int ahead,error;
> unsigned long page_cache;
>
> if (max_ahead > inode->i_size)
> max_ahead = inode->i_size;
> debug (4," prefetching data %ld bytes\n",max_ahead);
>
> error = -ENFILE;
> f = get_empty_filp();
> if (!f)
> return 0;
> dentry = list_entry(inode->i_dentry.next, struct dentry, d_alias);
> f->f_dentry = dentry;
> f->f_pos = 0;
> f->f_reada = 0;
> f->f_op = NULL;
> if (inode->i_op)
> f->f_op = inode->i_op->default_file_ops;
> #if 0/1 /* tried both with and without this */
> if (f->f_op && f->f_op->open) {
> error = f->f_op->open(inode,f);
> if (error)
> put_filp(f);
> return 0;
> }
> [...]

The Internet interprets Windows as damage,
and routes around it.

Roger Larsson
Skellefteå
Sweden

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.358 / U:0.116 seconds]