SubjectRe: ESS1788
Nickelby Thane wrote:

> Hi all. I really hope I don't act stupid by seeking
> help here since I am at end's witts. By using the
> stock kernel in RH 6.0 (2.2.5-15 later upgraded to
> 2.2.5-22) my sound card was detected at ESS1688 which
> was fine for me even though I had an ESS1788.
> Unfortunately when I upgraded to 2.2.10-4 (RPM kernel
> from the RPM repository <UK-based>), my sound card was
> detected as an ESS1868. The bad point is my wav files
> and mp3 files get frighteningly slow making my P133
> like a 286. Midis were okay. I didn't have time to
> test mod files as mikmod was giving me the error"
> cannot initialise sound device" like errors. Is there
> any way to make the kernel correctly identify my sound
> card and correct these errors ? I tried recompiling
> the kernel using the rpm source and at one time,
> download the bzip2 version of it and recompile it but
> to no avail. I do hope I don't get flame for this
> small problem but I do appreciate critical feedback
> from you good guys :-).

The ESS cards _are_ frighteningly slow, nasty cards. Cheap, yes. Mind
you, the only ones I've ever seen are made by Eagle. Other OEM's ESS
cards may be better (but probably not worse). Quite literally, when one
of these cards falls into my hands I break it with a hammer, and replace
it with just about anything else. It's quite satisfying really.

Cheap? Yes. You get what you pay for.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.029 / U:0.688 seconds]