SubjectRe: ADSL or Cable modem support in Linux, etc..
Under law, I believe that you can refuse them permission to do the "upgrade"
on the grounds that it is an "upgrade" and you don't want an "upgrade", you
didn't pay for it. It *might* work :) Unfortunately ADSL isn't mainstream
available in the UK. BT is about to finish ADSL trials in London (finishes in
September). Unfortunately, BT use a custom Ethernet card which aint good, but
they might come up with another option/use a card which is supported. NTL
(formally Comtel, formally Telecential) are trialling Cable modems which I
think just connect to a serial port - I think there might be some luck there.

Just my £0.02