SubjectRe: via-rhine nic crazyness on PIII Xeon SMP running 2.2.5 - 2.2.11
i had a (similar?) problem on my single-cpu via-rhine box (not my SMP box
which also has a via-rhine (only one nic in each)) where the driver would
claim something wicked had happened... The nic's link light would go out
at this time, I would unplug and replug the cable into the card and it
would "wake up" .. or if i waited long enough it would fix itself... but
*whenever the network bandwidth got too high* - BANG! wicked! ... i have
not had this problem recently though - I have been toying with the pci
cards, perhaps simply moving it around fixed it?
--
Marques Johansson
displague@linuxfan.com

Warning! This not checked for grammer or speling. You figure it out!

On Wed, 11 Aug 1999, David Rees wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 11, 1999 at 06:15:11PM -0500, Matthew wrote:
> >
> > eth0 and eth1 behave properly, but eth2 (the via-rhine) spits out "Something
> > Wicked has happened" into the syslog. I turned on verbose mode and captured
> > about 20k of data, including three instances of the "Wickedness". I looked
> > through docs and the source (via-rhine.c) and couldn't find any mention of
> > failure due to multiple nics or SMP.
>
> It seems to be related to SMP, I get the same messages with the via-rhine
> card and my SMP system. Works great in my SingleCPU machine, with it and
> a PCI NE2K card.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.334 / U:0.296 seconds]