    SubjectRe: First WinModem for Linux
    On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, David Lang wrote:

    >One comment for those of you taking the attitude that "Linux will never
    >support software based modems".

    That would be foolish. It allready does, as you state below.
    Anyone could figure that with the oncoming onslaught of the
    avalanche of Linux, that the domino effect would land us
    winmodems running under Linux one day. I would NEVER say that it
    would never happen, and truely mean it. I may have said in the
    past that it would never happen - but only with certain
    restrictions such as no specifications being made available,
    etc..

    >You are to late, it already does. look in the Ham section.
    >There is support for hardware modems (TNC's) and sound card
    >based modems. While I agree that in most cases software based
    >modems are not a good idea I can see many places where a type 1
    >modem (as defined below) would be reasonable for a low-end
    >"internet terminal" type of device.

    I'm aware of the various drivers in the current kernel source,
    and addons as well. My point is that I cannot just grab any old
    modem RIGHT NOW, and slap it into a Linux machine and have it
    work. It will be QUITE some time until this is untrue, and I
    challenge you to prove otherwise. I'm not talking about FSK
    sound modems, or any other radio telecommunications stuff either,
    I'm talking about grabbing a standard "go into the computer store
    and get a joe blow 56k/28k/14k modem for connecting to the
    internet via telephone" modem, and getting it to work.

    I'm not looking at special cases, or "wow there is one
    winmodem/linmodem that works in linux" cases, I'm looking at
    "grab ____ANY____ modem out of ____ANY____ existing computer, or
    off the shelf without looking at the box, and plop it in and have
    it work period - even if it sucks and uses 200% CPU. Right now,
    _alledgedly_ there is one modem or one line of them. That does
    not meet the "all modems in existence" category, and as such,
    buying ANY modem right now that is a software modem is a
    lose-lose situation for Linux users.

    I am done with this topic as far as I'm concerned as it is going
    absolutely nowhere fast.

    --
    Mike A. Harris Linux advocate GNU advocate
    Computer Consultant Open Source advocate

    Tea, Earl Grey, Hot...