    SubjectRe: Boot code rewritten for GAS

    Chris Noe writes:
    > On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

    >> Good luck! I'd also like as86 et al to go. But there might be older
    >> binutils in use somewhere?
    > As far as binutils go, I believe we should change the changelog to state
    > the minimum at 2.9.1.0.20 which fixes another 16bit codegen bug. Although
    > lower versions will work, I personally wouldn't feel too comfy with them.
    > (XXX: Tonight as I took another good look at the patch I realized that
    > there is *still* one gas bug exposed by some code in video.S which I had
    > mis-reported as fixed. Will set straight asap -- and probably end up
    > wanting the next binutils release (with the bugfix) as the minimum :)

    I'd say you guessed why this keeps getting ignored. (I have binutils
    2.8.1.0.1 right now.) You could submit the patch again in a few years.

    Another reason: People who can write 16-bit x86 assembly are likely to
    be ex-DOS hackers with MASM and TASM experience. To them, gas syntax
    may be hard to use.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:124.720 seconds]