    SubjectRe: EATA driver and 2.2 kernel problems?
    On Wed, 7 Jul 1999, H.J. Lu wrote:
    > We are having serious problems with EATA drivers under Linux 2.2.5
    > and 2.2.7, especially in SMP kernel. We tried eata_dma and eata
    > drivers. Neither will work with SMP. For eata_dma, we got
    > eata_dma: trying to reset HBA at 0150 to clear possible blink state.
    > HBA at 0x0150 does not react on INQUERY. Sorry.
    > in SMP kernel. The same hardware seems to work when booting with UP
    > kernel of the same kernel version. With different 2.2 versions,
    > sometimes UP kernel will panic with NULL point reference.
    > Does anyone have any EATA drivers working with 2.2 and SMP?

    I've been running a DPT SmartCache IV PCI (2044UW, I think) using the eata
    driver on my SMP system under the 2.2 kernels without any problem. Right
    now, I have 2.2.10 installed.

    The system specs are:
    2x Pentium II 350MHz
    128 MB RAM
    DPT SmartCache IV PCI 2044UW, no cache RAM, no RAID
    several assorted UW and narrow SCSI disks & CDROMs

    Linux 2.2.10 SMP
    eata driver

    My understanding is that the eata_dma driver is broken under SMP and isn't
    maintained anymore.

    Ryan Moore

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.083 / U:148.232 seconds]