SubjectNwFs 1.4.5 Source Code Available (FENRIS)
Date

Linux Folks,

NwFs Release 1.4.5 is now available for download at ftp server
207.109.151.240. Please refer to the release notes regarding changes and
updates made to this release. We are now using Bonnie to regression test
and benchmark NwFs. As expected, the extremely heavy use of sleeplocks in
NwFs does impact overall performance significantly, however, we will leave
these locks in until the intial testing phase of our codebase has been
completed. It is very difficult for users to provide any significant
feedback about concurrency bugs when a system is deadlocked with spinlocks.
We plan to replace the sleeplocks with fast mutexes and spin locks and of
this month and after the initial regression testing is completed. We are
being hammered with requests about the 2.2/2.3 version.

We ask folks to be patient. We are rigorously testing each change now
against Netware 3.x, 4.x, and 5.x, and against all available revisions of
the Netware NFS server software for Netware 4 and Netware 5. When these
tests are completed, we
will release the 2.2/2.3 version.

We will send out one more release of 2.0.37 which contains mirroring very
soon. After this final 2.0.37 release, then we will be moving all of our
releases to 2.2/2.3

Please feel free to respond with any comments, suggestions, or bug reports.

Jeff Merkey
CEO, TRG