SubjectRe: [RFD] New driver system (was Adding new syscalls via modules)
> And you know what ? Thay can not be implemented in Windows without evil
> patching the kernel as well :-)) Just there you must patch binary-only
kernel
> without sources on the fly in memory (it's not theory -- I seen code for
> some of this toys). And this way is not practical for Linux: there are
contless
> combinations of compilers/compiler flags...
I wrote many drivers for windows and I know how ugly are their kernels.
Windows extensibility is low too.
But they learn on their mistakes.
NT 4.x has almost acceptable filter-driver system.
Although it is unusable in some situations due to M$ favorite opacity,
it allows to write a lot of interesting tools.
Even silly '9x has 'hooks'.
Let us learn on their mistakes too ;-)

>> While we spend time rewritting patches, M$ distributes drivers :-(.
> Yes. And when our patches are finally fixed M$ drivers still do not work
> as expected... And I STILL can not use Delphi4 due crash in video driver
:-((
Hooks and filters are innocent.
M$ problem is opacity and ugly initial design.

>> I think, the lack of extensibility is a MOST important weakness of Linux
>> kernel. We need to fix this problem. Do you agree?
> No. Adding new feature to Linux is more easy then addign new feature to
Windows.
%-(. Forget these poor windows!
Pushing an idea +
fixing the whole kernel +
fixing interfaces +
distributing new feature
= some months per feature.
New driver system = some months *once*!
>> We have completely other problem: most nice toys from winfiles.com are
not
>> interested to hackers with enough skills to implement them and users who
want
>> them do not have enough skills...
And companies almost ready to sell these features to users don't want to
distribute patches.
And users stick to windows... :-(
Do we want to rule the world? ;-)

Best regards

Alexander.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.029 / U:0.044 seconds]