SubjectES1371.c and i810 chipset?
Date
Hi Folks -

Here is the problem I'm having.

Recently I purchased a system that came with a SuperMicro Motherboard that
uses the Intel i810 chipset. This board has an integrated i740 graphics
controller and some weird thing called an audio modem riser. Anyway I
installed linux Mandrake 6.0 on it and disabled the onboard audio with JP28
as indicated in the manual before installing an Ensoniq AudioPCI sound card that
uses the ES1731 chip. I also disabled and any game ports or sound things
in the CMOS. The sndconfig util from redhat is able to detect the card but
when it tries to play a sound clip of Linux pronouncing "Linux" it gives me an
error message saying that /dev/dsp is not known. Funny thing is that /dev/dsp
exists though. I should also mention that this machine is a dual boot Linux/NT4
SP5 system. Any attempts to fire up the sound card driver es1370.sys that
comes with the card on NT will completely locked up the system with a blue
screen of death message. If you are unfortunate enough to have gotten past the
stage where the driver is installed on the file system and NT configured to
load it you will have effectively hosed your NT install. Subsequent reboots
will always blue screen on you and you will end up having to reformat the
partition and reinstall. So my question is:

1. Are there any issues that the Linux community is aware with
regard to this sound card/mother board/chipset combination that prevent
them from working well together?

2. Are the Linux developers aware of this situation with the sound card
and the i810 chip set?

3. If so if there a fix planned for a furture kernel patch?

4. Failing any of the above do you folks have any suggestions for me on how
to work around this problem other than the obvious one of purchasing a new
motherboard?

I should also mention that I spoke with Ensoniq technical support staff today
for about an hour over the phone trying to get this sound card motherboard
combo to work on NT. We were not able to get it to work and as far as I know
they are not aware of any potential hardware/software issues with these cards
and the i810 chip set.

Thank You.

Juan Casero
email: casero@bellsouth.net

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.033 / U:0.252 seconds]