SubjectRe: Synchronous board drivers
Krzysztof Halasa <> wrote:

> Why not use HDLC frames? That addds 2 bytes to the header, but would
> be consistent with other protos:

The address and control bytes are really part of the medium-specific
encapsulation. The data will be in a skbuff with enough headroom that
the channel code can easily add them if it needs them.

Of course, 2 bytes is nothing, really, and if it makes life easier for
most types of channel I don't mind putting them in. I thought they
were really only used for async serial channels though (and then
usually compressed out anyway). On balance I thought it was cleaner
and neater not to have to worry about those 2 bytes in the generic ppp