SubjectRe: Mailbox
On  5 Jul, Albert D. Cahalan wrote:
| > Also findutils lists S_IFMPB and S_IFMPC as "V7" but you say "Coherent".
| > I'm also collecting a list -- could you tell me which is appropriate,
| > or is it both: "Coherent & V7".
| The Linux source code mentions them for the SysV filesystem driver.
| Coherent is like V7, so it makes sense that both would have these.

They're the old V7 experimental multiplexed block and character
devices; not especially widely used, rather buggy by most reports, and
long since superseded by sockets and select(). I'm not sure we need to
care about them.

brandon s. allbery [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]
system administrator [WAY too many hats]
carnegie mellon / electrical and computer engineering KF8NH