    SubjectRe: linux headers and C+-+-
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > from "USB" and "modem". And the like with
    > > USB soundcards, etc. Then you could
    >
    > Unfortunately planed earth doesn't work like that. USB sound is very different
    > at the low level to conventional sound cards. At the higher level well gee we
    > inherit the behaviour from the sound core and from the OSS layer if we want.
    >
    > > realize that, if Linux was a truly an OO OS,
    > > the USB should be realized months ago...
    >
    > No. I have a big problem with people who have read too much and hacked
    > too little. As Fred Brooks says - there is no silver bullet. Having worked
    > with real OO languages like smalltalk C is more of a waterpistol anyway.

    C and C++ are both good for some things, but what I want most of the time is C+.
    I'd like a C with the C++ features that aid clarity, and none of the stuff that
    deprecates the developer's tight control of things. Sure you can write pure C with
    a C++ compiler - a simple trick used to increase apparent productivity in places
    that measure people in KLOCs. In practice it never works out too well, and you
    always end up with some C++ baggage in the result. I think disdain for some of the
    excesses of C++ has made most low level developers shy away from the greater
    clarity a half way house language might give.

    > Linux is text book good OO. There is little multiple inheritance, there is
    > very clean modularity. At the same time you don't need a VRML 3D class
    > browsers to view the class structure.

    Eh? Most of the OO test books I've seen give you the idea that a programmer's life
    consists mostly of multiply inheriting. In practice I have never multiply
    inherited. In fact, I've never received a single lawyer's letter telling me of just
    one inheritance!

    My very first job way in an object oriented hardware development environment -
    suggest a good idea and everyone objected to it!

    > People with strange naive ideas that somehow C gives you instant USB need
    > to write more low level code. Unfortunately many people who write text books
    > write the books before they do that, or because they can't.

    Here, here. Those who can do; those who can't teach. That's why so many people are
    taught some damned strange things.

    > > suited than C (how could you do multiple
    > > inheritance in C, without writing very
    > > unreadable code?), but you know, you
    >
    > Function arrays. BTW Multiple inheritance is seen as a terrible evil sin
    > by OO purists, because your programs just turn to crud once you start abusing it

    Let's cook up a class. Eye of toad, ear of bat, ...... Multiple inheritance has a
    tendancy to sum all the worst, rather than all the best, of the things inherited
    from. I guess it doesn't have to be that way, but it seems to be "standard
    practice".

    > Alan

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.061 / U:29.760 seconds]