SubjectRe: Frame Relay generic driver
Someone forwarded me this message asking me to clear up some MAJOR
misconceptions and assumptions about our products and drivers. I'm NOT on
the linux-kernel list, so those of you who want to reply to me that ARE on
the list will have to do so via e-mail. Send your reply to
dhass@imagestream-is.com

> SDL requires NDA for their fr routines. Their Linux developer/distributor
> - Imagestream - distributes only binary kernel modules, and has probably
> more restrictive license (you are IMHO not even permitted to distribute
> binaries freely, at least I got it this way).

You are way off-base here. ImageStream licenses all of the Linux code for
the SDL cards, including frame relay. We do not have a restrictive
license for the source--all you have to do is ask for it. No charge. We
distribute binaries, but you can get source anytime by asking us for it.

You are welcome to distribute binaries as a reseller.....how else could
you sell the cards? I have NO idea where you got this "opinion" (your
words).

As long as ImageStream has handled driver development for SDL (since
1997), our policy has allowed free distribution of our driver binaries by
resellers.

That being said, we may offer source code, but we do not distribute it,
nor do we allow anyone to distribute it on our behalf. Why? ImageStream
is tasked with supporting the SDL drivers in major installations
worldwide. To effectively support these drivers, we insist on a single
driver distribution set. We can't gamble on having a major customer get a
buggy driver from a third party and causing damage to their business--we
lose business, get blamed for the problems and have to clean up after it.

To save the diatribes against a limited open-source distribution, I'd
refer you to the complaints made on the linux-kernel list about Sangoma's
driver instabilities recently. The reason that ImageStream and SDL are
the most successful PC WAN card vendor/distributor is largely due to our
ability to consistently deliver a stable driver for stable cards.

> BTW, at least older
> drivers from SDL and then from Imagestream don't work in real environment
> - there are memory leaks there and other problems.

Again, completely off-base. Get the latest drivers (in fact, e-mail me
privately and I'll make sure that you have them). Memory leaks haven't
been a problem since SDL's version 1.34 drivers--well over 2 years old.
The latest driver sets are quite stable and robust and are used in our
Linux routers all over the world (http://www.imagestream-is.com/ -- click
on the Industrial Routers section for more info).

> In fact, I have few SDL cards. They are quite good in Cisco, but I'd like
> some of them to do FR instead.

Again, drivers since version 1.90 (released in mid-1998) have supported
frame relay without memory leaks or stability problems. If you are using
older drivers and want the latest, contact me directly and I'll square you
away. The latest drivers support HDLC, PPP, X.25, frame relay and raw IP.
X.25 is supported only in the 2.2.x series drivers, while the others
protocols are supported in both 2.0 and 2.2.

> > The SDL driver can be a good starting point as well as the source
> > of documentation.
>
> Not very :-(

Actually, it would be a great starting point for a generic FR driver.
Since you've never seen the source, DDK or documentation and are using
severely out-of-date binary drivers, I'm not sure how you can comment on
the quality of the driver.....

It all boils down to this:

1) If you want source to the SDL drivers, just ask. No, you can't
distribute it freely to the world, but you can have it and do whatever you
want for your own purposes.

2) Before you go off half-cocked and make a bunch of misstatements about a
company, make sure you have your facts straight. At least go to the
trouble of finding out the company's ACTUAL policies (instead of what you
guess they might be)

3) Get the latest drivers (or at least something released in the last 2
years) before you bash a company and their product publicly.

Questions or comments? Please remember that I do NOT subscribe to the
linux-kernel list, so I won't see your message there. Send it to me
directly, or call. I'm always happy to help.

Regards,

Doug

-----

Doug Hass, Sales Manager
ImageStream Internet Solutions
dhass@imagestream-is.com
http://www.imagestream-is.com
Office: (219) 935-8484
Fax: (219) 935-8488

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.441 / U:0.108 seconds]