SubjectRe: Representation of structure in filesystems Was:Albods,reiserfs,trolls and an lot of other things

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Horst von Brand wrote:

[snip]

> "Morten S. Nielsen" <msn@ipt.dtu.dk> said:
>
> [...]
[snip]

> That's why Pascal added record (struct in C). The problem is that they are
> programmer-defined, i.e. hard to shoehorn into one schema. Unix goes for
> the lowest common denominator: Streams of bytes, you (programmer) impose
> whatever structure you want. Not maximally confortable, but it works. And
> does not need specialized tools for "copy a file of foo records" or such.

The purpose of the OS is to support the programmer I once heard a guy
say... who was it...

But anyway the mail was for inspiration. The struct is a well proven data
type which also lacks the application of standard tools - you'll have to
do them by yourself. How do you as default print an arbitary struct in c?

I didn't by the way say that the enduser was to change the structure - or
maybe even the programmer, but only that representation of structure as
anything else than data might be nice. They might only change the
content of the structure. Heck, this discussion actually arises from this
lack so why say: We can't do better...

Servicepack SR12 for NT. Available at www.linux.org

-- Morten S. Nielsen mailto:msn@ipt.dtu.dk
--
-- | Linux - the choice of a GNU generation |
-- | Skaane Sjaelland Linux User Group |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.534 / U:0.408 seconds]