    SubjectRe: Synchronous board drivers
    Gergely Madarasz wrote:
    : On Sun, 4 Jul 1999, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
    : > Alan Cox wrote:
    : > : > I agree with Krzysztof that sync board driver should be as simple
    : > : > as possible, and syncppp.c (or whatever it will be named) should do
    : > : > everything else (registering net device, switching link protocols, etc).
    : > :
    : > : Why ?
    : > :
    : > : What if I want to do things differently. Right now I can re-educate syncppp.
    : > : I can for example switch to hardware ppp and use software for X.25
    : > :
    : > Yes, I know that mid-layer approach is not flexible enough,
    : > but I think we still want to move more work (e.g. registering the device name
    : > and maybe the character device emulation) to syncppp.c.
    :
    : Why is the character device emulation needed at all ?

    I occasionaly use sync line for transfering raw data instead
    of some network protocol. I think most sync board drivers have
    some sort of character device emulation. IMHO it would be wise
    to move it to syncppp.c.

    -Yenya

    --
    \ Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz> http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/