    SubjectRe: script for compiling the kernel
    Marc Mutz wrote:
    > [...]
    > - make bzImage the default for 2.2.x and later, since it does run most
    > of the time and zImage shuold be considered the unusual case.
    As discussed there are arguments for zImage and bzImage as default. I
    tend to leave zImage the default because:
    - You can see something is wrong at compiling time not at boot time.
    - It is very easy to determine what is wrong.
    - You are told what is wrong.
    So I consider this as the safe choice.
    At the moment if 'make zImage' fails you get a line like this:
    If you get the message 'kernel to big' use 'bzImage' (option -b)
    That should stop newcomers from bothering kernel people with this
    question, I hope.
    Maybe I get it working to autodetect this problem and do this
    automatically.

    > - leave out 'make clean' for later 2.2.x and 2.3.x kernels, since I
    > think that has been made obsolete (my kernel compiles just fine w/o it
    > and make xconfig does not say anything about it any more)-
    I want to leave this in as long as I have a statement that there is NO
    case where it is needed. Generally a 'make clean' should not be
    necessary except for the case that something went wrong, I think. But I
    want to be on the safe side and at least it doesn't hurt except for the
    longer compiling time. But maybe I should make this an option for people
    who need a quick compiling.

    > - prompt for dev kernels, e.g. like this:
    >
    > CAUTION: You are trying to build a DEVELOPMENT kernel. This means that
    > there is no guanrantee that it will even compile correctly.
    > Do you know exactly, what you are doing?
    > Have you checked www.kernelnotes.org for any known broken
    > feature that can chew your system up and laugh at you?
    > anwer 'yes' or 'NO':
    >
    > Maybe this prevents some people from thinking 'Well, three's more'n two,
    > so let's check out...'
    > [...]
    Yes, that's a good idea. I'll do that.

    Thanks for your feedback.

    Bye, Steffen

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.023 / U:1.032 seconds]