SubjectRe: Scheduling latencies news: less RAM = less latency

On Sat, 31 Jul 1999, Benno Senoner wrote:

> as Roger Larrson suspected, there are some parts in the kernel
> which have a too long execution path:
> On his PPro with 512MB RAM, d_lookup takes up to 80ms to execute !

Somebody has bogus profiling information. There's no way it's going to
take that long unless you have a broken filesystem that doesn't do the
hashes right and hashes everything to the same entry. Even if all of
memory is just dcache information, which is basically impossible to do.

If you get numbers like the above, then ALL your numbers are extremely
suspect, and I would seriously look into your methodology if I were you.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:1.181 / U:0.980 seconds]