SubjectRe: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4223
Hi Robert.

>>> Since there is some variation, it would be good for the software
>>> to include a tweekable fudge-factor so that with experience of
>>> whether the clock looses or gains a small amount each day, the
>>> fudge factor can be adjusted to compensate, so that given a
>>> crystal that is off by a constant amount, once adjusted the
>>> clock will keep time.

>> Already present, and can be set up to automagically do the
>> tweaking for you. Read `man hwclock` for a discussion of the
>> procedure used.

> I must admit to being a little bit lost as to the meaning of the

It lost me almost from the start, so you're not alone there. I think
it amounted to somebody complaining that certain brands of PC's have
clocks that vary far too much, and incorrectly attributing that fact
to the digits printed on the various clock crystals, but I could very
easily be wrong there...

> My main point though was trying to clear up a misunderstanding
> with regards to crystal tolerance, crystal frequency, and
> labeling.

I gathered that, and I didn't comment on the rest of your post since
not only did it do a good job of clearing that up, but several other
people had done likewise.

Best wishes from Riley.