    SubjectRe: S3 and Framebuffer
    On Wed, 28 Jul 1999, Jeff Garzik wrote:

    > Nils Bokermann wrote:
    > > A few weeks ago, there was a rumor about Framebuffer with VESA1.2 or S3
    > > Cards. I didn't follow the whole thread... Can someone give me a hint, if
    > > there is (or will be) a S3 Framebuffer with linux??
    >
    > The most recent version of the in-development s3fb can be obtained from
    > a patch against kernel 2.3.3, generated daily at
    > http://havoc.gtf.org/garzik/kernel/files/UNTESTED/
    >
    > It currently supports Trio cards (once fully debugged), but the
    > framework is in place to support most if not all pre-Virge S3 cards.
    > Patches and testing help are definitely welcome.

    > an S3 card under Linux. Send a 'subscribe linux-s3' message to
    > majordomo@gtf.org to sign up.
    I've tried to apply this patch to 2.3.11. There were some rejects
    not related to framebuffer, though. I also fixed sevral typos in the
    source and generated a new patch against 2.3.11 that applies without
    rejects and doesn't contain these typos. But this driver sets
    improper video mode on my card, it seems that it installs too high
    vertical refresh frequency -- my monitor supports videomodes up to
    1024x768x60Hz.
    If anyone interested, I put this clean patch on
    ftp://lucifer.dorms.spbu.ru/pub/Linux/2.3.11-fb-19990728.patch.gz, maybe
    it'll work for someone...
    Eugene

    --
    Email: <jmv @ lucifer dorms spbu ru> Homepage: http://lucifer.dorms.spbu.ru