SubjectRe: S3 and Framebuffer
Nils Bokermann wrote:
> A few weeks ago, there was a rumor about Framebuffer with VESA1.2 or S3
> Cards. I didn't follow the whole thread... Can someone give me a hint, if
> there is (or will be) a S3 Framebuffer with linux??

The most recent version of the in-development s3fb can be obtained from
a patch against kernel 2.3.3, generated daily at

It currently supports Trio cards (once fully debugged), but the
framework is in place to support most if not all pre-Virge S3 cards.
Patches and testing help are definitely welcome.

I also recently set up a mailing list for anybody using
an S3 card under Linux. Send a 'subscribe linux-s3' message to to sign up.

In addition to this, you can use the more-stable vesafb. See
linux/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt in the kernel sources or for more information.

One of the most overlooked advantages to computers is... If they do
foul up, there's no law against whacking them around a little.
-- Joe Martin