    Date (Ulrich Drepper) writes:

    > Robert de Vries <> writes:
    > > BTW it looks like the kernel is lacking a sysconf system call. Or would
    > > everybody prefer it to be in the C library?
    > > One of the reasons for being in the kernel would be that certain kernel
    > > compile time constants are only known in the kernel and not in the
    > > C-library. For instance the number of TIMERS could be changed in the
    > > kernel, while the C-library is unaware.
    > I'm begging for a sysconf() implementation for a long time but nothing
    > happened so far. People are bitten by this on many occasions, like
    > changing the HZ value. So, if you press Linus to accept such a patch
    > I'll add the necessary libc hooks.

    IMHO The correct way to do it is to add a read-only sysctl. Advantage:
    needs no new code in the kernel, only a sysctl table entry and a global
    variable. sysconf is subset of sysctl(2) with appropiate table entries.

    This is like TV. I don't like TV.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:7.444 seconds]