Date (Ulrich Drepper) writes:

> Robert de Vries <> writes:
> > BTW it looks like the kernel is lacking a sysconf system call. Or would
> > everybody prefer it to be in the C library?
> > One of the reasons for being in the kernel would be that certain kernel
> > compile time constants are only known in the kernel and not in the
> > C-library. For instance the number of TIMERS could be changed in the
> > kernel, while the C-library is unaware.
> I'm begging for a sysconf() implementation for a long time but nothing
> happened so far. People are bitten by this on many occasions, like
> changing the HZ value. So, if you press Linus to accept such a patch
> I'll add the necessary libc hooks.

IMHO The correct way to do it is to add a read-only sysctl. Advantage:
needs no new code in the kernel, only a sysctl table entry and a global
variable. sysconf is subset of sysctl(2) with appropiate table entries.

This is like TV. I don't like TV.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.045 / U:45.916 seconds]