SubjectRe: sk_buff and neighbor struct in 2.2
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:

> Hello!
>
> > My problem is that a device driver which I have to port from 2.0 to 2.2
> > uses the arp field (determines if arp already has been done) of the old
> > "struct sk_buff" which is not available anymore in the new "struct
> > sk_buff" of version 2.2.
>
> Khm... Devices never get not-arped packet either in linux-2.0
> or in Linux-2.2. So that I do not undertsnad the question.

OK, some more details:

I wrote a device driver which sets the destination hardware address by
itself in order to switch data flows (we are doing handovers using this
principle).

So when the device driver got a packet and set the new hardware
address, it sends the packet further to a network device
(dev_queue_xmit()). In kernel version 2.0 I could prevent that ARP
overwrites the explicitly set hardware address by setting the ARP field
in "struct sk_buff" to 1. But in version 2.2 I still don't know how to
prevent ARP from overwriting the destination hardware address.

From what I have understood until now about the neighbor concept, I assume
that I have to manipulate the neighbor list to solve my problem. But it's
quite hard for me to understand the new neighbor concept just by reading
the source code...

Thanks for your help,

--
Stefan Hendrata <hendrata@ee.tu-berlin.de>
Telecommunication Networks Group / Department of Electrical Engineering