SubjectRe: ISSUE: Files missing when recursively listing an ISO9660 CD-ROM
On Mon, 26 Jul 1999, you wrote:

Thanks again for your help. I have checked the format on all 27 of my CDs and

mount /mnt/cdrom ; ls -lR /mnt/cdrom | sum ; umount /mnt/cdrom
30 consecutive times on each. Here's the results:

No Errors: All CDs which are detected as Joliet 1 (such as PageMaker 6.5,
FileMaker Pro 4.1, Civilization II Multiplayer Gold, some others), some CDs that
are detected as plain ISO9660 (Adobe Type On Call 4.1, SimCity 2000 Special
Edition, Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time, Space Quest 6, Myst, and

Infrequent Errors (1 or 2 discrepancies in 30 trials): Some CDs which are
detected as ISO9660 (or at least, not specifically detected as anything else).
These were Windows 95 Upgrade, Calendar Creator 5.0, Photoshop 4.0.1, Norton
Utilities 2.0 for Win95. These errors are not necessarily consistently
producible, so many of the above CDs may have also produced errors, if enough
tests were run.

Frequent Errors: Some CDs detected as ISO9660 (Windows NT Workstation 4.0,
Space Quest 4), both Rockridge CDs I have (Microsoft Office 97 Standard, MS
Office 2000 Standard Upgrade), and the one Joliet 3 CD I have (MS Windows 98

Specifying the -o nojoliet option to mount didn't help on any of the CDs with
errors, except for the Win98 Joliet 3 CD. -o norock didn't help either for all
listed CDs. Compiling the kernel without Joliet support produces no
improvement, the errors still occur on all the listed CDs. It also doesn't
matter whether I use the ATAPI drive or the SCSI.

As for the one Joliet 3 CD, errors on the Win98 CD were difficult to
reproduce - without the nojoliet option, sometimes I'd go through a whole
series of 30 tests with no errors, other times almost every test had a
different value. With nojoliet, however, I got no errors, period.
I made an image of the most error-prone of my CD-ROMs onto my second hard
disk. The disk was M$ Office 2000 Standard Upgrade. It registers as Rockridge
(and not Joliet, I checked). I then ran this sequence of commands several

mount /mnt/linux2/office2000std.img /mnt/cdrom -o loop
ls -lR /mnt/cdom | sum
umount /mnt/cdrom
Sure enough, even mounted this way there are problems.

Also, I don't know if this is related, but after a long bout of reading CDs I
Jul 26 22:33:32 dilithium kernel: Sound error: Couldn't allocate DMA buffer

This is occurring when kbiff tries to play a sound file when I get a new

Thanks again!

Robert A. Morris <>
Home Page:
PGP Key:
ICQ UIN: 38290261

MessageID: 8a/EGSlWqxfwauWdO4tR1dZOnJnhBvVo