SubjectSomewhat offtopic: CD-ROM and floppy problems
I have a flaky CD-ROM drive (a Philips recorder, to be exact). It is
very bad at reading even slightly damaged disks. Is there a way to
immediately stop the kernel from reading such a device? If I try to read
from the device, it keeps trying to reset the ATAPI interface, which
momentarily locks the console and prints annoying error messages.
Killing the affected program does not help. I eventually had to unplug
the IDE cable (ok, since the drive is alone on IDE1) to get it to stop
retrying. I'm sure there must be a better way.
Also, I was trying to read in a bunch of floppy disks with dd, but
apparently it's keeping the disks in the read cache or something,
because it creates identical images of the first disk (instantly) when I
insert different disks or even no disk. Is there a way to prevent this
from happening and force the drive to be re-read each time?

Thanks!
-Reeves

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.022 / U:0.304 seconds]