SubjectCache, x86, DSP... (Re: real-time threaded...)
Ove Ewerlid wrote:

> David Olofson wrote:
> > Just 4 59309's in the basic configuration, though... Those DSPs are
> > efficient, but it wouldn't take a monster Alpha to beat that
> > performance. Might even be possible with Celerons or Xeons. (Well,
> > P-II/III too, but they have slower caches. The cache size doesn't help
> > much with small buffers/low latency.)
>
> Celeron/Xeon/PII/PIII all have 16+16 kb L1 cache.

Yes, I was thinking L2 here. That's very important for most kind of
processing done in multitrack audio systems. The plug-in architecture
requires lots of intermediate buffers in some cases. However, when a
buffer is smaller than 128 bytes, this isn't much of a problem even with
the 128 kB L2 of Celeron. (Real life lests show that Celerons beat P-IIs
on audio processing under Windoze, even though Windoze needs
significantly bigger buffers.)

> There are many data intensive DSP tasks you need the L1 speed to
> match the needs of the CPU. FIR filtering for instances.
> (particularly with KNI)

BTW, what's your experience of signal processing performance on
Celeron/P-II/etc vs DSPs? Alpha or other architectures?

Price/performace of workstation hardware vs DSP cards? (What's the trend
nowadays?) Provided workstations can do the whole job, including
guaranteeing that there are no drop-outs, I guess DSP cards will have to
be VERY affordable to be a viable option, as they still need a host
workstation for many applications, and are more complicated and
expensive to develop for. Comments?

//David