SubjectRe: low priority soft RT?
On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Kurt Garloff wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 05:21:03PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> > > I have made a fairly substantial SCHED_IDLE patch, but due to
> > > the (never resolved) deadlock issues I haven't submitted it.
> >
> > Yes, it really is a loaded gun. A large SCHED_IDLE process can consume
> > arbitrary system resources, and if there is any single cpu-bound process
> > preventing it from being scheduled, you won't even be able to kill -9
> > the SCHED_IDLE task (the kill signal isn't delivered until the task is
> > next scheduled).
>
> The kill -9 can be handled by promoting this process to another
> scheduling class, when there are signals pending. Especially with
> SIGKILL. Note that some of the OOM patches discussed for inclusion
> into the kernel are promoted to SCHED_RR when being killed.

Promotion to a higher scheduling class shouldn't be too
difficult. We can use a construction not unlike the goto
theme park in schedule() to keep additional costs in
goodness() down to an absolute minimum.

Please wait while I grab 2.3.11 and code up a patch...

Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.