    SubjectRe: real-time threaded IO with low latency (audio)
    On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Ingo Molnar wrote:

    > the whole 'why sound skips' problem i think lacks one major necessery
    > component: information. Nobody really ever analyzed what the problem
    > really is/was. I do have a awe64 soundcard (which i almost never use), if
    > you (or anyone else) could point to a method to make sound-playback
    > produce bad quality, i'd be happy to analyze the problem. Is running
    > mpg123 enough to see the problem? What should i do to make sound skip?

    I've tried to do this again and discovered that it's much harder to do
    then it used to be.

    Start mpg123 with no buffer parameter.
    Then start a kernel compile.

    Mpg123 will skip as the disk usage gets heavy.

    Somewhere between 2.2.8 and 2.3.4 something drastically reduced the sound
    dropouts on my system. I used to be able to make the sound skip even with
    "mpg123 -b 1024" but that is no longer the case.

    As a computer I find your faith in technology amusing.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:0.140 seconds]