SubjectRe: Is kernel autoconfig possible?
Ok, maybe I didn't explain myself very well...
I'm not talking about boot-time configuration of hardware.
I'm not talking about hard-coding irq's, dma's, and io addr.'s into
the kernel.
I'm talking about compile-time configuration of the kernel such that
it will add support for hardware as support becomes available (i.e. an
upgrade to 2.4 would go something like: it would probe for supported
hardware and see USB, which is not supported under 2.2). plug-and-pray
has nothing to do with that, other than for detecting the hardware,
which could prolly be done w/o it anyway (totally unqualified comment,
but it seems it could be possible).
What this is for (maybe I can shed a little light on what I'm
thinking...) is: say I have a novice user distro. Say they need/want a
kernel upgrade (let's not worry about why or how they need/want it).
Most novice users won't be able to do a kernel upgrade themselves, so I
want to do something where the kernel can be auto-configured, then
installed, w/o the user having to do anything more than just tell it to
do it. I'll explain it in more detail if you'd like in a later post.

Anyways, remember to CC me if you reply.

-- andyw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.198 / U:0.060 seconds]