SubjectRe: fork or exec thingy.
Hi Khimenko.

>>> Bash on Linux seems to have problems starting subprocesses
>>> occasionally, the following program fails randomly:

===8<=== CUT LOTS OF RUBBISH ===>8===

>>> I've tested this on 2.2.6 2.2.6ac1 2.2.9 and 2.2.10ac10 with
>>> bash versions 1.14 and 2.03. Machines tested were idle apart
>>> from the shellscript, with plenty of RAM.

>> This looks like a faulty test command to me - certainly, I was
>> unable to get the script to fail...

> If you was unable to get the YOUR script to fail and not initial
> script then you basically tested wrong thing.

May I congratulate you on your so-obvious twisting of what I said.

Can I also repeat that I was unable to get EITHER script to fail on
ANY of the kernels at my disposal. For reference, I tried 2.0.36,
2.0.37, 2.2.2, 2.2.5, 2.2.9 and 2.2.10 (all raw), and BOTH scripts
worked perfectly under ALL kernels. Various RedHat 5.1, 5.2 and 6.0
systems...

I therefore REPEAT my statement as quoted above: The report looks like
a faulty test command to me, rather than any fault in either bash or
the kernel...

>> Not sure what the problem is, but it's neither a kernel one nor
>> a bash one...

> OF COURSE ! When you removed the only thing which was tested
> test will no longer fail fail for sure!!!

True, but does that explain why the original script didn't fail
either? You could try applying a bit of common sense before posting
rubbish like this...

> Terje: It failed to walk.
> Riley: Walk is sooo slow, let change it to fly. See ? No
> problems anymore...

WHat sort of relationship is that supposed to bear to the subject
under discussion?

> P.S. Said this I must admit that I was unable to trigger problem
> with initial script and kernel 2.2.2ac5, 2.2.5ac6 and 2.2.10ac10
> here (under KSI-Linux 2.1 beta) so it really does not look like
> kernel problem...

Precicely my point...

Best wishes from Riley.