    SubjectRe: low priority soft RT?
    On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Bryn Paul Arnold Jones wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jul 1999 cd_smith@ou.edu wrote:
    >
    > > Anyone thought about allowing soft RT (SCHED_FIFO or SCHED_RR) tasks with
    > > negative priorities? These would only be executed if no other tasks of
    > > any type are there. Giving a normal Linux task a niceness value won't do
    > > this, as the task will still get some CPU time.
    >
    > So SCHED_IDLE then (only execute this if we would otherwise be
    > executing the idle task)? It's been talked about before, IIRC
    > even implemented, it just never got into the mainstream kernel.

    I have made a fairly substantial SCHED_IDLE patch, but due to
    the (never resolved) deadlock issues I haven't submitted it.

    OTOH, if we make SCHED_IDLE a sysctl tunable thing, we should
    be able to just ship it with the standard kernel and provide
    a Big Fat Warning(tm) along with it...

    If there's demand, I'll create a patch RSN.

    regards,

    Rik -- Open Source: you deserve to be in control of your data.