    SubjectRe: Measured overhead of timer interrupts

    On 22 Jul 1999, Andi Kleen wrote:

    > It is a kernel bug, HZ is not exported. Actually two, because none of
    > the /proc should have used it as units, but that cannot be fixed anymore.

    why cannot it be fixed?

    > It is easy to add a read-only sysctl for HZ though and make netstat use
    > this, but this won't fix the trillions of other /proc parsers.

    we do not want to export HZ, why should we? HZ has no meaning to anything
    else than the kernel. If the kernel exports HZ-dependent values into
    /proc, then that has to be fixed. (yes it might be painful in some cases)
    HZ might even go away in future kernels - what if we start using
    nonperiodic timer interrupts?

    -- mingo

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.018 / U:62.068 seconds]