    SubjectRe: FS corruption... some help maybe??
    I get the point that Linux does not need to be rebooted.. and
    other UNIX supposedly are the same unless you change hardware,
    or patch kernels..

    you are ALL missing what I am sayng thou..

    even Mainframes flake out sometimes, and you must bounce the
    region, occasionally. UNIX systems can flake out too, and so
    does NT, NT is more prone it seems, and Windows usually LIKES to
    be rebooted for registry changes, windows also needs to be
    rebooted after certain segv's.. windows leaves dll's in memory
    after a program crashes too (programmers fault?)...

    1) AIX has a utility called smit.. you are suuposed to be able
    to restart inetd with this, we did telenet sessions started
    acting flaky, we bounced the box everything was a-okay after
    that..

    2) I was on a project where we had a Solaris BOX .. made changes
    to the shmmem for oracle, and some inetd (/etc/inetd.conf
    services changes) also.. tryied restarting inetd.. and system
    flaked out...

    3) I have used Redhat.. now maybne this is a bug.. they have
    utilities to setup /etc/hosts file and /etc/inetd.conf...

    now I admint when I installed hylafax, and added made changes to
    the services file there was no reason to reboot, but there have
    been other times when it seemed like the only solution..

    I have never tried kill -1.. but will in the future...

    I have also been informed that UPS's by APC for around $200 will
    do what I want.. so that will be the next addition.. thanks
    all..

    and please no more emails to me on this topic. I think I have
    recieved over 200....

    Joe