SubjectRe: Partition Sizing

> AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe, "mount"
> /tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the benefits/problems with
> doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory filesystem that was just
> announced get stable/is a good idea)?

Yes, Solaris does this. It has a large number of problems, the most
important being that files in /tmp compete with programs for swap
space. Since you can't set quotas on tmpfs (last I checked) that
means any user can DoS the machine by creating huge files in /tmp.
tmpfs also gets some of the filesystem semantics wrong - weird shit
having to do with named pipes and hard links, but it's enough of a
problem that the Perl configure script blows chunks if you run it
there.

This isn't to say that something like that couldn't be done right, but
(as Richard Gooch mentioned) the reason Solaris does this is that its
disk filesystem is painfully slow, and we don't have that problem, so
I don't see the benefit.

zw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.099 / U:0.124 seconds]