    SubjectRe: Partition Sizing
    Date

    AFA /tmp is concerned, don't some OS's, like Solaris I believe, "mount"
    /tmp as a memory filesystem? What would be the benefits/problems with
    doing this in Linux (assuming that new memory filesystem that was just
    announced get stable/is a good idea)?

    fwr

    On Thu, 22 Jul 1999, Richard Gooch wrote:
    > Zack Weinberg writes:
    > >
    > > Richard Gooch writes:
    > > >
    > > > Why not just have /tmp a separate FS?
    > >
    > > I don't see any advantage of that over linking /tmp to /var/tmp.
    > > The only issue with not having /tmp on the root filesystem is if
    > > it's needed before the rest of the filesystems are mounted, and
    > > you'd have the same problem with a separate /tmp or a symlink.
    >
    > OK, fair enough. I had originally read it as "/tmp -> /var/tmp is
    > better than mount /tmp". I guess you weren't saying that.
    >
    > I personally prefer a separate /tmp so that dumb users don't
    > accidentally fill up /var (/var/spool, /var/log and so on).

    > > > You don't need any symlinks with the standard devfs configuration
    > > > (devfs mounted on /dev). What makes you think you do?
    > >
    > > Not for /dev - for the frequently modified files in /etc, like
    > > /etc/shadow (assuming you make people change passwords regularly...)
    >
    > Ah, OK. Another misunderstanding.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Richard....
    >
    > -

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.048 / U:0.220 seconds]