SubjectNCR53Cxxx drivers

I have question about configuration of NCR53c7,8xx SCSI drivers. According
to the Configure.help file there are 2 drivers that 'should' work for this
type of card. There seems to be actually 3 drivers you can use but the
annoying part of the driver selection is that is that under make config you
must select all the drivers as modules if you want to use one of the
alternate drivers.

There must be a cleaner way do to this because a lot of people don't
compile module support into their machines.

Taken from the Configure.help:

Note: there is another driver for the 53c8xx family of controllers
("NCR53C8XX SCSI support" below). If you want to use them both, you
need to say M to both and build them as modules, but only one may be
active at a time. If you have a 53c8xx board, it's better to use the
other driver.

> this is slightly wrong because there are 3 drivers; c7xx, c8xx, and the
> Symbios driver for the ncr53c8xx. From what I have seen the symbios cards
> don't work with the other two drivers.

This driver is also available as a module ( = code which can be
inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
The module will be called 53c7,8xx.o. If you want to compile it as a
module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

The three drivers are:

CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C7xx generic driver
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX generic driver
CONFIG_SCSI_NCR53C8XX_SYMBIOS_COMPAT symbios driver

It would be nice if you were asked if you need the NCR53Cxxx support then
it would ask if you have a c7xx, c8xx generic non-symbios card, or the
symbios based 53c8xx board. That way you could avoid modules and it would
be a bit more logical to the end-user.

But thats just me..

Take care,

-Barrett

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.301 / U:1.768 seconds]