SubjectRe: Measured overhead of timer interrupts
On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 06:32:49PM +0200, wrote:
> Hello!
> > Actually sysctl allows converting everything, if you just put in a pointer to
> > your own handling function [of course for ms it should be put into sysctl.c
> > as a generic mechanism]. proc_dointvec is just a default.
> He-he... Looking at do_proc_dointvec was enough for me to forget about
> idea to create our own private functions 8)8)

It is actually not that bad, you can simply wrap it, like Pedro did in

> BTW do you know that we used sysctl absolutely incorrectly?
> No sys/net variables define "strategy" method, hence sysctl() does not work
> at all. To be more exact, it does not any checks or transformations.
> Grr... What sad discovery... :( I make such discoveries not every day 8)

Seems nobody uses the system call...

Ok, so proc_dointvec_jiffies is broken by design and the proposal above
is wrong.

Fortunately most net variables don't need a transformation/state setup,
so only proc_dointvec_jiffies and rtcache_flush needs fixing I think, or
did I miss something?

This is like TV. I don't like TV.