    SubjectRe: Measured overhead of timer interrupts
    On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 06:32:49PM +0200, kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
    > Hello!
    >
    > > Actually sysctl allows converting everything, if you just put in a pointer to
    > > your own handling function [of course for ms it should be put into sysctl.c
    > > as a generic mechanism]. proc_dointvec is just a default.
    >
    > He-he... Looking at do_proc_dointvec was enough for me to forget about
    > idea to create our own private functions 8)8)

    Hehe:)

    It is actually not that bad, you can simply wrap it, like Pedro did in
    net/ipv4/sysctl_net_ipv4.c:ipv4_sysctl_forward()

    > BTW do you know that we used sysctl absolutely incorrectly?
    > No sys/net variables define "strategy" method, hence sysctl() does not work
    > at all. To be more exact, it does not any checks or transformations.
    > Grr... What sad discovery... :( I make such discoveries not every day 8)

    Ooops.

    Seems nobody uses the system call...

    Ok, so proc_dointvec_jiffies is broken by design and the proposal above
    is wrong.

    Fortunately most net variables don't need a transformation/state setup,
    so only proc_dointvec_jiffies and rtcache_flush needs fixing I think, or
    did I miss something?

    -Andi

    --
    This is like TV. I don't like TV.