SubjectRe: SPARCbook 3gx
Date
On mer, 21 lug 1999, you wrote:

> I don't care much for solaris... A friend has a sparc server 690 and
> there's no vme support in solaris7. He wasn't happy.

I don't care too. But when there were Solaris
I could use the laptop. Now I can't... :-(

> > I'm waiting for a tranciever to rebote-boot the
> > laptop and try Linux on it (this is to me the only
> > solution to install something on it), but it seems
> > that the hardware is very particular (on ultrapenguin.org
> > there's a note saying it's too particluar to be supported).
>
> I thought it had a rj45 on the back of it?! My sparc10 board has one and
> aui.

It have an rj45 but it's the modem connection. The
ethernet connection is the aui port that needs a
tranciever. Since it seems that it's not easy to find
in Italy, I'm waiting for a friends that promised me
to find one of this for me.

> > It seems to have a one-only chip that control the SCSI
> > interface and the ISDN and the "normal" modem and
> > the parallel port (!), so I think it will be very difficult
>
> My friend said linux would run on it, but the sound wouldn't work and linux
> doesn't support the framebuffer, but some version of X does.

I hope it will work... it's a good laptop and
I would like to use Linux on it ;-)

> > to immediately use the sparc linux on this machine :-(
>
> No cdrom? Ouch... My sparc booted just fine with debian's 2.1 cd.

No, it was shipped to me with just an external SCSI floppy (!),
but it won't boot from the external SCSI interface, just from the
internal one. So attaching an external SCSI cdrom won't work.

> > When I'll have the tranciever, I'll try to figure
> > something. It's a nice laptop with a SCSI card
> > and a removable SCSI disk.
>
> I saw the scsi hdd.. Never seen a 2.5" scsi.

I never seen it too. Another solution would be
of course to find something to attach the 2.5"
removable SCSI disk to a "normal" SCSI bus
in some way and install Linux on it

>This place that's selling off
> their sparcbooks are giving a 170mb ata pcmcia card with it and a few other
> things.

I think I bought this laptop from the same place...
I've got the 170mb pcmcia HD, the beautiful SCSI
floppy, the horrible trackball, the cellphone modem
(very useful to me) and the wonderful bag...

> The nice thing is it has a modem and a nic so you don't need any
> pcmcia cards. Oh, I'm not sure if pcmcia supports this either.

I don't know. It would be good to get at least
the modem and the ISDN TA to work. A laptop
with integrated ISDN TA, modem and SCSI
interface sounds well, and that's the reason I
bought this laptop for...

Bye
--
Marco Ermini