    SubjectRe: [2.2.x] Obscure framebuffer bug
    Hi Aaron.

    > I can't reproduce this on command but it originally happened
    > with the TGA framebuffer code and I went digging to see where
    > this bug was popping up but nothing obvious showed up.

    > I kept it in the back of my mind and then it happened on my main
    > x86 box with the matrox framebuffer (w/ g200).

    > Basic rundown of how to try to reproduce it:

    > Top of the screen is fairly empty.

    > You are typing in bash, a line that is longer that the width
    > of the screen (you are one line above or on the bottom of the
    > screen).

    > Instead of using backspace, you use your arrow keys to go from
    > the bottom line to the line above it. When this happens, the
    > line in question gets redrawn at a random position on the bottom
    > of the screen.

    Which shell are you using? Also, what is your prompt set to?

    I get exactly that occurring with bash if my prompt includes certain
    variable length fields, but if I use a static prompt such as " Q> ",
    it goes away...

    > This has happened since 2.2.0 if I remember right.

    I had the above happenning back with RedHat 4.1 and kernel 2.0.29,
    which is as early as I go, but ONLY with the bash shell - it appears
    not to be a problem with tcsh which is the other shell I've used...

    Best wishes from Riley.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.020 / U:7.100 seconds]