SubjectRe: Standard for module delivery
On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 11:08:27AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

> MYDIR=`pwd`
> cd /usr/src/linux
> make SUBDIRS=$MYDIR modules
> said:
> > This also allows you to include the current config options.
> Now that's pretty slick. However, should it really be necessary for the
> kernel source to be installed? I have compiled my module with only the
> kernel headers installed, and think that should be just fine. It should
> work. said:
> But how do you know if you should be compiling with, e.g. __SMP__
> defined,

In an ideal world, the kernel includes would include a .mk file that
my Makefile can include that does all those silly defines for me.
(There are other things, like -fno-fp-regs, -ffixed-8 for the alpha, etc.)
As it stands now, I have to guess for each architecture what is right.
I think is is reasonable for a .mk to be generated, because there are
a few .h files in the kernel includes that are generated as well.

And __SMP__ does bring up some interesting issues with distributing
Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."