    SubjectRe: Standard for module delivery
    On Fri, Jul 02, 1999 at 11:08:27AM -0700, Stephen Williams wrote:

    > MYDIR=`pwd`
    > cd /usr/src/linux
    > make SUBDIRS=$MYDIR modules
    > said:
    > > This also allows you to include the current config options.
    > Now that's pretty slick. However, should it really be necessary for the
    > kernel source to be installed? I have compiled my module with only the
    > kernel headers installed, and think that should be just fine. It should
    > work. said:
    > But how do you know if you should be compiling with, e.g. __SMP__
    > defined,

    In an ideal world, the kernel includes would include a .mk file that
    my Makefile can include that does all those silly defines for me.
    (There are other things, like -fno-fp-regs, -ffixed-8 for the alpha, etc.)
    As it stands now, I have to guess for each architecture what is right.
    I think is is reasonable for a .mk to be generated, because there are
    a few .h files in the kernel includes that are generated as well.

    And __SMP__ does bring up some interesting issues with distributing
    Steve Williams "The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and lines to code before I sleep, And lines to code before I sleep."

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.019 / U:8.472 seconds]