    SubjectRe: The stability crisis
    Jes.Sorensen@cern.ch (Jes Sorensen) writes:

    >Before you can do this you need a hardware address for the receiver,
    >this can of course be done by putting it statically into this special
    >driver. Alternatively you need a fair amount of a network stack to run
    >before you can first get the hw address via ARP, and then send out a
    >message with the oops info. Now this requires a sorta functional
    >Ethernet driver to get anywhere and often your interrupts are dead.

    Broadcast it (MAC-addr all ones) to a "special" port. To send it out,
    you need a bare bones, no frills, interruptless, stripped down driver
    (reset ethernet board, put packet in buffer, send it, die).

    Actually I think, that sending the oops out over the network (as a
    compile option, of course) is a nice idea. Maybe I will toy with this
    sometime this weekend (don't hold your breath, though :-)

    Kind regards
    Henning

    --
    Dipl.-Inf. (Univ.) Henning P. Schmiedehausen -- Geschaeftsfuehrer
    INTERMETA - Gesellschaft fuer Mehrwertdienste mbH hps@intermeta.de

    Hutweide 15 Fon.: 09131 / 50654-0 info@intermeta.de
    D-91054 Buckenhof Fax.: 09131 / 50654-20