SubjectRe: fsck is dead
lindahl@cs.virginia.edu (Greg Lindahl)  wrote on 29.06.99 in <199906292321.TAA09459@adder.cs.Virginia.EDU>:

> > Well... if you need protection then get it... HA is the key here.
> > Especially with reducing single point of failures. If you actually notice
> > a system which is down for FSCK you DO HAVE a problem if it is so
> > expensive for you.
>
> HA is half of the key. Fast fsck is the other half. You can't avoid
> the fact that the OS scribbling on your dual-ported disks is a single
> point of failure. After that, do you really want to bring up a backup
> computer without an fsck?

So isn't that obviously NOT the right way to do it?

What would you do if that disk broke?

For situations like that, you want completely separate hardware. On
separate UPSen. On separate power lines. Probably in different cities.
(California-style earth quakes. Tchernobyl-style nuclear plant blowups.
Australia-style power cable burnouts.)

Dual-ported disks is not a desaster plan.

(I remember hearing of a desaster plan of a big manufacturer - making hard
disks or something like that - they supposedly had a complete second setup
at the other side of the city, and the plan said "if something takes out
both places, we're going to have more serious trouble than caring about
hard disk production".)

Fsck times is just about the least important thing in that situation,
because if that's what you're waiting for, you didn't do your homework.

MfG Kai

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.066 / U:0.096 seconds]