    SubjectRe: Vendor specific kernels and lkml (was Re: 2.2.5-15 aic7xxx problem?)
    > I do see your point. I guess it's a question of where to draw the line. You
    > wouldn't (presumably) want to see bug reports for MkLinux, or uClinux, or
    > Linux 1.1.x here? Obviously those are a long way away in the `family tree'
    > now, whereas vendor's kernels are pretty close.

    The line is "where are they useful". Vendor reports are useful on the whole.

    > ii) you spend a long time trying to reproduce the problem, only to
    > find out later (perhaps a lot later) that it was related to a
    > vendor specific patch.

    Those show up fast.

    > Working back to the original post, do we want chat about whether people
    > should use this or that kernel rpm, and where they can find them on the RH
    > site, on this list?

    I generally politely direct them to redhat-list@redhat.com. On the other hand
    I do want to see reports that are of the "Vendor XYZ kernel with this CD drive
    crashes on boot".

    Alan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.019 / U:23.888 seconds]