    SubjectRe: Memory hogs
    On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Rik van Riel wrote:

    > Once you're completely out of memory, you're too late. We
    > can simply start killing once we get very very near...

    My algorithm idea is to have two states: idle, and warned. When memory
    gets tight, give a warning shot (SIGQUIT), and change to warned. When the
    memory gets even tighter (there must be a second threshold), give a final
    shot (SIGKILL). Just like these zap guns they use at Stargate SG1 ;-).

    Rik's code has the limit numbers as kernel magic numbers, I'd like more to
    have a /proc/sys/vm/ entry for them. But that can wait until I get the
    thing working.

    With a useful setup, tight memory is so far from ordinary operation, that
    all this really should never happen. This should only happen when there is
    really a malicious program attacking the machine (or a program that has
    gone wild). If it really happens during normal operation, add a new swap
    partition, or better buy more RAM.

    Bernd Paysan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.026 / U:8.076 seconds]