SubjectRe: New kernel/resource.c
Date
From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

>On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Tom Leete wrote:
>>
>> To me, the problem with calling it "pci" is that it's likely to be taken
>> literally. People writing for other bus archs will not know or forget
that
>> it's for them too. People writing for pci will add pci specializations to
>> it.
>
>But other bus architectures are not even supposed to use it!
>
>It's really only meant to be used by PC IO subsystems (ie PCI, ISA etc).
>So it really =is= meant to be specific to one bus type (admittedly that
>bus type is a superset of PCI itself, but it's NOT supposed to ever be
>used as a "every bus" kind of resource).
>
> Linus

<Light Dawns>

Ahhh. I'd misunderstood then.

I was thinking that kernel/resource.c was a general distributed allocator of
ports, addresses, etc. & that it was also for USB, firewire, whoever needed
such things.

Sorry, and thanks,
Tom /* Back to the source */

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.053 / U:0.088 seconds]