SubjectRe: New kernel/resource.c

On Fri, 16 Jul 1999, Jonathan Walther wrote:

> Linus, can you remind us again why you found it makes more sense to say
> "PCI" instead of the more generic "bus"? They are both equally easy to
> type, and one clearly fits all cases. The other is a popular, but not
> really generic.

Because "bus" is arguably _too_ generic.

Imagine a machine with sbus and PCI. You'd like the PCI device drivers to
work without any problems, and they shouldn't be bothered by a sbus
peripheral that happens to have the same (independent) sbus address.

Note that I don't think this is too strong an argument. I'm definitely not
too hooked up about the "pci" name. "ioport" and "iomem" works fine for me
too if people really hate the implication that pci is the "standard" bus
when it comes to PC's.

Linus

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.257 / U:0.512 seconds]