    > > You're in a "we're completely out of memory" situation already,
    > > having the application clean up may mean it wants to rewrite its
    > > config files. Requiring buffers and other resources.
    > Once you're completely out of memory, you're too late. We
    > can simply start killing once we get very very near...

    I noticed recent discussions about the reserved space on ext2
    partitions that is emergency space for root to recover from something
    filling the disk (or defragging, depending on who you ask); Could a
    similar thing be done with RAM? The kernel holds back a few MB
    (configurable of course), then when you get into an OOM situation,
    your algorithm comes into effect and is able to tell a process to shut
    down and give it access to the emergency RAM incase it needs to
    allocate any further resources for config saving, etc.

    RAM is cheap and I would prefer to sacrifice a few MB and have apps
    exit gracefully in an OOM situation than have the kernel start dumping
    processes and losing data all over the place.

    Just an idea, I have roughly zero idea how implementable it is (just
    incase you were going to roast me for making a dumb, impossible to
    implement solution)

    - ---
    Chris Jones
    Black-Sun Software

    "Linux is beating Windows" - David Cole, Microsoft Executive

    Version: PGPfreeware 5.5.3i for non-commercial use <>

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:53    [W:0.021 / U:1.664 seconds]