SubjectRe: Promise RAID (was Re: linux-kernel-digest V1 #4141)
On Wed, 14 Jul 1999 cd_smith@ou.edu wrote:

> Admittedly, I have experience with only one RAID controller - Digital's
> StorageWorks... but I was under the impression that RAID controllers don't
> typically require drivers besides ordinary SCSI or IDE support by the
> kernel. Is this something unique to StorageWorks? Someone please clue me
> in. It seems really dumb for a RAID controller to depend on some
> proprietary interface when normal SCSI or IDE will do just fine.

First::

Promise's FastTrak and DriveDefender are BIOS based psuedo-hardware RAID.
There is nothing different between the Promise Ultra33, DriveDefender, and
FastTrak. The only differ in the BIOS contents.

Second::

You kill the monitor package/tool, in a native supported OS, for any of
the PDC20246/20247 based ATA-33 RAID cards. Then delete everything but
enough of the OS to run, it will not correct the contents of the second
disk ever. It needs a software API tool to update the mirror.

Translation::
A cute ATA-33 card with bells and whistles, that has a powerful software
raid that does a great fake of looking like hardware. Now I will have toi
recant this because, it is possible to program it into real/active RAID
mode.

Oh well, maybe someone will try again.

Andre Hedrick
The Linux IDE guy

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:52    [W:0.784 / U:0.096 seconds]